Powered by Blogger.

International Women's Day!




Today marks the 105th International Women's Day and I am so happy to see so many people celebrating this day.

I am a feminist. I believe that everyone deserves to be treated equally. I believe that women are just as strong as men. I believe in women empowerment and so much more. I am not afraid to speak out about feminism, I am not afraid to believe in myself and to believe that the world can change.

I grew up without a mother figure or a strong female role model, so finding my way at first was so hard. I didn't know what being strong was like, or how to believe in myself and I had no one to reassure me. I was surrounded by people who told me 'you can't do that, you have to think bigger' or 'that's a mans job, though', 'you're not strong enough', and so on. I was afraid to be myself, I was afraid to believe in myself, I was afraid to speak up about things I cared about or liked, I was afraid to ask questions, I was also afraid of my future. 

Until now.

However, I would like to thank my father for never thinking either of those. When I said to him one day, 'Dad, I want to be a boxer!' he smiled, and said okay and got me a blow up punching bag and boxing gloves the following Christmas. When I told him, 'I want to be strong, and to be able to put up a fight when I need to', he put me into martial art classes. When I asked, 'Can I start dance classes?' he smiled, before putting me into dance classes. When I came home from school one day and told him I had made the rugby, netball and football teams', he told me he was proud and that he was glad I was doing what I wanted to do, and so on, he never questioned me why I wanted to be a boxer, or why I wanted to learn how to kick and punch in martial art classes, and he never told me I couldn't do either of those. He has always been the one constant person that has believed in me, and I thank him for that. I have realised that I didn't actually need the mother figure I had always wanted, my father was both parents. People need to understand that it's not just women that stand up for feminism, men do and can too, they need it, too. 

We have some truly inspirational women in this world, past and present and it is so beautiful to see the amount of empowerment I am able to witness each day. 
Malala Yousafzai, an activist of education since she was 11 years old and women's rights and Angela Davis, an activist of women's rights and civil rights and a writer for the oppressed. A radical feminist - two people (of SO many!) who I thank for being truly inspirational activits.
I look up to so many strong women who I can call my role models - 
Demi Lovato, who has always inspired me to love myself and all that I am, and she reminds me that I am strong, no matter what others say. 
Emma Watson, for always speaking out for everything she believes in, this movement for one. For never being afraid to be the beautiful, empowering and intelligent woman she is. 
Halsey, for also teaching me that I don't need a guy in my life to be happy or feel whole, that I am strong and beautiful.

I also want to thank my friends, without whom I wouldn't be the strong person I am today. Empowerment is important. Thank you for that.

***

I came across this hashtag #OneDayIWill on Twitter so I wanted to put some of my own into this post!

One day I will live in a world where there are no limits for women.

One day I will live in a world where inequality for men and women is no longer a thing. We all deserve equality.

One day I will be the person I have always wanted to be, without anyone telling me 'you can't do this, you can't do that, that's a mans job'.

One day I will overcome my fears and pursue all of my dreams, because hopefully, finally, no one can tell me that I can't.

One day I will be the motherly role model that I have always wanted.

One day I will be able to witness all women empowering each other rather than trying to tear each other down.

One day I will be able to raise awareness for Mental Health on a bigger scale.

One day I will live in a world where I can be an independent woman without anyone saying 'You need a man in your life to be happy!'

One day I will be able to inspire people everywhere.


Also, here are two from my friend and fellow blogger, Beauty Affair

One day I will live an independent life without relying on a man to look after me.

One day I will be able to compete with a man and be seen as equal competition without me feeling that I'm not as good as a man. 

Make sure to check Whitney's incredible post for International Woman's Day - here -.

What is your #OneDayIWill? Comment below or tweet me at @giventhewrld and let me know!

Happy International Women's Day to each and every one of you, beautiful, strong and inspiring women. Thank you all for empowering one another, always believe in yourself and remember how important you are and that you can achieve anything.

Until next time, be you and keep smiling.




CONVERSATION

2 comments:

Back
to top